-->

Headlines

The Ecosoc News Monitor

26 April 2008

Mother's agony over suicide bid

Gulf Daily News, 26 April 2008

A MAID who slashed her wrist has told of the misery that drove her to try to take her own life.

Indonesian Sri Wahyuningsih B T Mustaki is divorced, with three children cared for back home by her ailing, elderly mother, who is no longer able to cope.

Ms Mustaki, 32, was found by her Bahraini sponsor's daughter after slashing her wrist in the family's East Riffa home, on April 18.

She was taken first to BDF Hospital at around 6am, then transferred to Salmaniya Medical Complex about three hours later.

Ms Mustaki was released from the SMC after about four hours, once doctors were sure there was no serious harm done and she has since pledged for her children's sake never to harm herself again.

She said she was already deeply worried about her family, but a phone call from her mother tipped her over the edge.

"I got a call from my mother at night saying she was unable to take care of my children anymore, as they were very demanding," said Ms Mustaki.

"At that moment, I hated myself and thought of ending my life. First of all, I have so much of work to do here and on top of that, I am getting calls from my family, which are really disturbing and intolerable.

"I got divorced from my husband when I came to Bahrain and my mother is the only person who is looking after my children.

"I am sending her the money for the children's education, but she always complains that she has no money.

"I want someone to take care of my children as they are growing now, but my mother is also aged and sick."

She said she came to Bahrain in 2000 to earn money to support the children and her mother.

"My former husband worked as a farmer and I left him because he was not so caring," said Ms Mustaki.

"He always cared about himself and sometimes left me and my children to starve.

"I was really fed up living such a life."

But she said that since cutting her wrist, she had realised the harm her death would have caused her children and would never try it again.

"I never thought of my children at that time, but I feel guilty now, as no one would have been there to take care of them," said Ms Mustaki.

She said she had been with the same Bahraini family since she came here and was happy with them.

"I don't have any problem with my sponsor or his family, as they are kind and very helpful," said Ms Mustaki.

She was saved by one of the sponsor's daughters, who woke up when she heard her cry out in pain and found her bleeding near the kitchen.

aneeqa@gdn.com.bh