-->

Headlines

The Ecosoc News Monitor

21 January 2009

Why they prefer Malaysia

The Star Online, January 11, 2009

OTHER countries may pay better salaries for domestic helpers, but for Indonesians Susyanti, 26 (right) and Anitadesi, 28, (left) Malaysia is their preferred choice.

Anitadesi, who has just completed the three years of her contract, has no regrets about working here.

“Things are better here. Malaysia is a better place to work in,” she says.

Susyanti is about to start on her second stint as a domestic helper and has no qualms about returning here.

“I did not want to go to other countries. I prefer to work in Malaysia compared to other places like Hong Kong, for example, although the pay is better there.

“Even my family told me to return as my previous employer treated me very well, and I may be just as lucky this time,” she says, adding that she also prefers the Malaysian climate.

At the end of the day, their ultimate aim is to make as much money as they can.

“I want to work for another seven or eight years and then I will return home, as I have promised my family,” says Anitadesi.